Auto mounting a partition


It’s been a while. A while since I’ve had to actually had to manually edit the /etc/fstab to automount a partition. So long, that I searched my blog trying to find out how to do it. To my surprise, I’d never actually written one. If I had, I couldn’t find it. Here’s to you, memory:
According to /etc/fstab this is how it’s done
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
For those of us that are human, that can mean very little. What you can do, in hopefully slightly more understandable terms is add a line that looks like this:

/dev/sd[a|b|c][x] /mnt/[location] [filesystem] defaults 0 0
What that looks like in my case is:
/dev/sda5 /mnt/sda5 ext4 defaults 0 0
Save, exit and reboot. Hope for the best :)
Disclaimer – I did manage to find the man page for fstab while searching!